Patent pending: 2020-203707
Looking back on the era when Rikyu lived.
What kind of tatami mats were used by tea masters in the days of Rikyu?
Motoyama Tatami has thought about that era and reconsidered aspects of tatami mats.
Takeno Jōo and Rikyu laid the foundation of tea culture including tea-ceremony rooms.
This limited space is regarded as microcosm that reflects the spirit of the Chado.
We provide tatami mats suitable for that space as Chashitsume tatami named SHINRABANSHO that represents the whole of creation.
Calligraphy by Seizan Osho (Buddhist priest)
Daiji-in, Daitokuji Temple
A tea room represents the cosmology of “Yin-Yang and the five elements”.
The number of weaves in a Kyoma size tatami for tea-ceremony rooms is said to be “64 weaves”. Motoyama Tatami presumes that the origin of the number “64 weaves” is derived from 64 trigrams of the art of divination, the Chinese oldest philosophical thought.
“Yin and Yang and the five elements” are the core ideas of art of divination. Just as a tea room reflects its view of the universe, there is no difference between natural principles and tea-ceremony rooms including every tea-ceremony utensil from Daisu to a tea kettle.
“Divine Farmer”, one of the Three Sovereigns in ancient China, was said to have created 64 divination trigrams by multiplying 8 and 8 trigrams. Based on that, we presume the number of 64 tatami weaves originated from the art of divination.
Trigrams of the I Ching
Source “Yin-Yang and the five elements”, Tankosha Publishing Co., Ltd.
To correctly inherit the traditional tea culture
The role of “tatami-me”, a weave of the surface of tatami mat, is a guide for the placement of tea-ceremony implements on tatami. Although “tatami-me” is not noticeable, it is important part of Chado. For this reason, Motoyama Tatami pays particular attention to tatami mats for tea-ceremony rooms
As for Kyoma size tatami with 64 weaves (short-side width), tatami border beautifully covers the edge weaves.
There are 60 weaves inside the border of SHINRABANSHO, Chashitsume tatami. Then the tatami border perfectly covers two weaves of edge (one sun ≒ 30mm width).
On the other hand, some people think that Chashitsume tatami has 64 weaves inside the border. In this case, since the edge is less than 30mm, the tatami border covers the weaves halfway.
SHINRABANSHO can eliminate tightness and contrariety in practice Chado.
For example, when you practice Daien-bon*, a large round tray , SHINRABANSHO provides enough space to place the tray without being out of line, For this reason, Motoyama Tatami has developed Chashitsume tatami SHINRABANSHO with 60 weaves inside the tatami border and 64 weaves in total.
* Large round tray (approx. 30cm in diameter) used in Urasenke
* Chashitsume tatami SHINRABANSHO: Unity model registration No.: 3224090 / Trademark Registration No.: 6338251
* We use mm/cm for the sake of clarity, however, we usually use Kanejaku to measure a tea-ceremony room. SEN no Rikyu also used Kanejaku. (one sun ≒ 30mm / one shaku ≒ 30cm)
above: SHINRABANSHO tatami weaves / below: common tatami weaves
Introduction of SHINRABANSHO products
Motoyama Tatami have developed SHINRABANSHO using all our resources.
There are two types of SHINRABANSHO,
for authentic Japanese-style rooms and for flooring tatami mats for tea ceremony.
Tatami-me, a weave of surface of tatami, is not noticeable,
but is an integral element as a guide for placement tea-ceremony implements on tatami.
We are sure that SHINRABANSHO further enrich your Chado life.
High-quality rush grown in Kumamoto Pref. is used for tatami facing.
It is finely woven and specially developed for SHINRABANSHO with durable material.
Your feet are less likely to hurt or numb because SHINRABANSHO uses high-quality straw mat bed inside
*per one tatami mat
|Refacing||JPY 20,000||JPY 30,000||JPY 50,000|
|New||JPY 38,000||JPY 50,000||JPY 80,000|
|4 cotton threads||2 hemp + 2 cotton threads||4 hemp threads|
|Description||Best for daily practice Chado.
Rubbing-resistant rush is used.
|High quality tatami facing.
Rubbing-resistant rush is used.
|The finest quality tatami facing.
Durable and rubbing resistant rush is used.
* Errors by around five millimeters will be adjustable. If there is more than that, please consult us.
* Prices on the list do not include shipping fees, import duties or value added taxes.
Flooring tatami mats
Even if you live in a Western style apartment, these specially designed tatami mats for
Chado can transform your room into a beautiful Japanese style tatami room.
You can enjoy a uthentic tea ceremon y and tea practices there.
A flooring tatami mat is half the size of a Kyoma tatami mat.
You can buy only what is necessary.
High-quality rush grown in Kumamoto Pref. is used for tatami facing. It is finely woven and
specially developed for SHINRABANSHO with durable material.
Your feet are less likely to hurt or numb because SHINRABANSHO uses new developed
high-quality straw mat bed inside.
|Type of tatami||size
long x wide (mm)
|Flooring tatami mats
for general use
|Flooring tatami mats
with sunken hearth for IH
|A half tatami mat
955 x 955
|JPY 19,200||JPY 38,000|
|Kayoi-tatami||955 x 697||JPY 19,200||JPY 38,000|
|Sadoguchi-tatami||697 x 955||JPY 19,200||JPY 38,000|
|Tokonoma-tatami||640 x 697||JPY 19,200||JPY 38,000|
|Ro-tatami||955 x 697||–||JPY 53,000|
|For more detail|
* Tatami size is adjustable to fit your room. Please feel free to contact us.
Prices on the list do not include shipping fees, import duties or value added taxes.
Please feel free to contact us for any inquiries.
When you are considering purchasing SHINRABANSHO,
from one tatami mat to the whole of a tea-ceremony room,
Motoyama Tatami will be happy to provide you with individualized consultation.
- Purchasing (or refacing) Chashitsume SHINRABANSHO tatami mats.
- Altering the width of Temae-tatami to Kyoma size.
- Moving a sunken hearth and a hanging hook due to the above change.
- Covering both sides of Temae-tatami perfectly with tatami border.
- Leveling height between tatami mats and a sunken hearth.
- Making a new sunken hearth.
- Making it possible to practice Chado (tea ceremony) with Ro even if you live in an apartment.
- Placing tatami mats on wooden floor.
- Changing tatami mats laying.
- Consulting for making or reforming a tea-ceremony room from scratch.
- Introducing professionals related to a tea-ceremony room such as carpenter, hyogu-shi(paper-hanger), plasterer or gardener.